Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Nutcracker

I love doing special things with the kids during Christmastime. This year Clara and I went and saw The Nutcracker. This is something I would love to become an annual tradition for my little girl and I. I'm not sure who was looking forward to it more, her or I. I think I had just as much fun, if not more, watching her face light up as she watched the dancers move across the stage. The production we went to was put on the by the local dance school. It was mostly middle and high school aged girls, with cute little parts for the younger dancers. This was her first experience at seeing live theater and ballet. She adored every moment of it and I only wish I could have captured some of the looks of amazement on her face as we sat in our seats and watched the ballet. I imagine she was wishing that one day it will be her up there in a pretty costume, pirouetting around the stage.

My big girl and I all ready for our special day

One of the nice things that drew me to this particular performance was a little event prior to the show called "Clara's Tea Party", named in honor of the young girl in the story, The Nutcracker. Well, OF COURSE we HAD to go to that! It was a nice little luncheon type thing with fancy little sandwiches, petit fours and hot chocolate. The ballerinas came out in full costume to mingle and talk to the kids and take pictures. Our Clara was completely enamoured and entirely shy as soon as the dancers came pouring out into the atrium where we were.

"Clara" and Clara, my Clara was trying to hard to say "cheese"!

With two of the ballerinas

We had such a great afternoon and made memories that will stay with us for a long time. There's something special about the first time a little girl goes to see a ballet and I'm so glad she enjoyed it. I'm so lucky to have my little Clara and I can't wait to do more things like this as she grows up.

No comments: