Sunday, June 14, 2009

Welcome Home Sgt Barrett!

He's home, he's home, he's home! My husband, my friend, Clara's Daddy, it doesn't matter what you call him, he's home! Aaron's plane landed at Ft. Hood/Killeen airport at around 10 pm on Wednesday night. His call saying they had touched down was by far the best phone call I've had in a long time. It was also my cue to go wake munchkin up. We had to be at the gym on post no later than 11 pm to make sure we didn't miss the welcome home ceremony.

Clara enjoying a sucker while she waits for Daddy.
At around 12 midnight the emcee announce that the buses were pulling up outside the gym. You should have heard the crowd! There were about 120 soldiers on Aaron's flight (the first to arrive home, after the advance party). The gym wasn't terribly crowded but if you closed your eyes and only listened you wouldn't have known. The music, the smoke, the cheers and screams were a bit overwhelming for Clara. She was such a trooper, despite the lateness and having had her peaceful sleep interrupted. But all it took was seeing the face of my handsome soldier, right there in front of Clara and I, and I didn't hear or see anything else.

My handsome soldier, front and center, with a big smile
as he sees Clara and I waiting for him!
The reunion was simple and quick, we were all anxious to load the car up and get home. Clara went right back to sleep as soon as she was back in her pj's and crib. And after sleeping til 8:30 the next morning was back on her schedule. Have I mentioned how lucky we are to have such a flexible, easy going daughter! :)

We have had a very nice weekend. I took Thursday off of work and Clara and I stayed home with Aaron, though he did have to go in to work for a couple hours that afternoon. We've spent Friday, Saturday, and today just enjoying having our family back together again and getting back into the swing of normal life.

Aaron and I would very much like to thank each and everyone of you for your enduring love and support over the past 12 months. We are truly grateful to have such amazing family and friends. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, they must have worked because our family is back together safe and sound.

xoxoxox

1 comment:

Stacy Hill said...

Welcome home Aaron and Thank you for your service!